Requirements for the NOW-ruling
If their turnovers drop by at least 20%, employers can turn to the NOW and apply for a wage cost subsidy of up to 90%. The percentage of 90% of the total wage bill is a cap: it will only be paid if the turnover drops by 100%. If the drop in turnover is lower, the subsidy will be proportionally lower.
After an application has been submitted an advance payment of the requested subsidy will be made, capped at 80%. After the first application, a second application will be required and in some cases the loss of revenue should be substantiated by an auditor’s opinion. The advance payment will be offset against the final subsidy determined.
All companies with a Dutch wage tax number can request the NOW-ruling. The ruling will be applied with the Dutch Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). Generally the following requirements must be met:
- the company must have a Dutch wage tax number;
- the company with a Dutch wage tax number or Dutch group of companies must have lost at least 20% of its revenue for a period of 3 months;
- a Dutch address; and
- a Dutch bank account number is required for the payment.
In total there are five NOW periods (NOW 1, NOW 2, NOW 3.1, NOW 3.2 and NOW 3.3). All NOW periods have their own conditions. The table below provides an up-to-date overview of all conditions and differences. Based on this table, you can determine which conditions must be met when applying for NOW.
Periods NOW 3.0
During the previous rounds, companies could apply for NOW 1.0 and NOW 2.0. In the meantime the NOW 3.0 has opened up. The NOW 3.0 ruling is divided into 3 periods:
- NOW 3.1: concerns the wage period: October, November and December 2020 and the turnover period over the 3 consecutive months between 1 October 2020 and 28 February 2021.
- NOW 3.2: concerns the wage period: January, February, March 2021 and the turnover period over the 3 consecutive months between 1 January 2021 and 31 May 2021.
- NOW 3.3: concerns the wage period: April, May, June 2021 the turnover period over the 3 consecutive months between 1 April 2021 and 31 August 2021.
The final application date for the NOW 3.1 is 27 December 2020. Applications for the NOW 3.2 can be submitted from 15 February 2021 and an application for the NOW 3.3. can be submitted from 17 May 2021.